Sunday, February 06, 2005

Life, death, and secrets

This morning, I got my aliyah and named our newborn daughter, who, in the fine tradition of Lois Lane, Lana Lang, and Lori Lemaris (most of you plebians don't know who Lori Lemaris is -- google it) now qualifies to be a candidate to marry Superman, based on her initials.

We named the baby after my late stepmother, who was niftar this past Lag B'Omer. Of course, I didn't tell my mother's side of the family this, and I'm hoping to keep it a secret as long as possible. I figured it would make my father very happy, and I did love my stepmother. We discovered shortly after I returned to New York, following the funeral, that my wife was pregnant, and she and I agreed that we should name the child after my stepmother if it was a girl.

The thing of it is, we gave the first name simply because we liked it, and the middle name is for my stepmother. My mother and I were discussing the first name, and she asked if the name was after anyone, and, thinking she was referring only to the first name, I said no. Slight fib, but I'm hoping that didn't count as a lie.

On the instructions of a rav, I haven't told my wife that I received a call on Wednesday from Sammy the Kid's father, who told me that they lost their first born son, Sammy's older brother, in a car crash. I have been so tied up with family matters at home, I've not been able to visit their family yet, and I hope to make the shiva call tomorrow afternoon. Lord knows what I'll say to them, as I haven't a clue what to do.

I'm keeping this all a secret from my wife, as it's not good to tell a woman who just gave birth of such a traumatic event, but I'll have to tell her eventually.

We should all only know simchas like what my wife and I have known this week.

4 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One second, is Lex Luther also a candidate?

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Lionel Luthor said...

Hey, what about me?

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Lionel Luthor said...

Hey, what about me?

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Secret Confession

 

Post a Comment

<< Home