Thursday, January 27, 2005

So well meaning, yet so wrong

Today is the anniversary of the liberation of Aushwitz in 1945. My friend, the Chainik Hocker, called me on the phone a few minutes ago, to draw my attention to what he wrote on his blog, and to ask me what I thought. This inspired me to write something of my own about the whole affair, as a discussion with my good friend would likely result in an argument I'd prefer to avoid.

Let me first address what is perhaps the most prevalent myth of our time, that the United States government is some lone avatar of peace and justice in this world. It's not. No one has any business making such claims about the US government when it steals from its subjects fifty times the amount that instigated revolt against Britain in 1775. When the US government kills its own citizens, like how Peter McWilliams died, victim of the government's benevolence, we cannot stand up and say we are the ones who will fight evil in the world.

Let me first addrss the second myth that is prevalent on a day like today. The United States did absolutely nothing to help the Jews, nor was it the government's responsibility to do anything. However, the individuals who sat by and did nothing should be judged.

Another myth is that democratic nations do not war on each other. Excuse me? What do you think World War I was? Germany was democratic! The US and Britain were democratic! Read this for more information. Perhaps World War I wasn't really a war, or those countries involved weren't really democratic. Maybe those Christians who murdered Jews weren't "really" Christians.

Chainik Hocker's continued vilification of Saddam Hussein in light of the recent revelations that he had actually been telling the truth the whole time about his lack of WMD, and that it was the Emperor who had been lying, is indeed strange to me. Since the government is known to lie when it suits their purposes, and we have seen that the government has lied about the WMD, why should we believe anything else the government has said about him?

In all honesty, and with all due respect to my friend, I thought was he wrote was emotional, illogical, and foolhardy. However, that is exactly what typifies the Republican Party today. The saying used to go that there were the evil party and the stupid party, respectively.

Had the United States not gotten involved in World War I, the Allies in Europe would have been much more disposed towards simply stopping the fighting. Instead, they were bolstered by the US' presence into thinking they could win, so they continued to fight. They stomped Germany into the ground, laying the blame for the whole affair on them, something that was totally unjust and something I've never quite understood. Hitler only capitalized on the harsh conditions in Germany that were imposed by the unfair settlement in World War I.

In other words, the United States' involvement in foreign affairs is the cause, not the solution, to so many problems in the world today. Remember the farewell address of George Washington, who would have strongly criticized our Emperor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home