Saturday, December 18, 2004

Would you care to visit my office?

This calendar year, 2004, is going to end, shortly. It had been, from an employment standpoint, a rather interesting year for me.

Things keep happening to me that make it look like a private, independent consultancy might be the path that I should take now.

Tonight, my synagogue had an annual fundraiser/dinner, and I set next to a few friends of mine. One of them is someone with whom I've been working on a business possibility that might be coming together that will earn me some money to feed my womenfolk, and another is an attorney I've known in shul for quite some time, been friendly with him, but never knew him so well.

The attorney inquired about what I'm doing for a living now, and I brought him up to speed on the current situation. I told him about my current striving to do independent, freelance work. He told me he has office space, 400 square feet, that he'd let me use in return for me performing technical support in his office.

Imagine that. Yid's getting himself his own office!

Heh.

Tomorrow, I plan to head down there and see what his operation needs in the area of computers and see if I can fit the bill.

In other news, I went down to former employer, the grocery store owner, and saw that he basically wants me to do exactly the same work I was doing a year ago. I told him that he had mentioned on the phone that what I'd be doing would be different than before and more challenging, which were his own words. He denied that he had said these things. I didn't take the offer very seriously, considering that he had me fired by his brother, and that said termination occurred over the phone. I told him I'd work for him for 50% more than what he'd been paying me before. (Before you think I was being haughty, he wasn't paying me an incredible amount of money that 50% is such a huge increase.) I had another condition for employment that I won't mention here. He told me he'd get back to me, but I knew then that my conditions killed the offer. I didn't care, because like I said, I didn't take his offer seriously. I didn't think he really wanted me, considering how bad the experience was last time.

I'm moving on up to bigger and better things. I'm getting my own office.

Wouldn't you like to hire your friendly neighborhood computer consultant?

4 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Ipcha Mistabra said...

Cool I hear that you have a ping pong table.
Hatzlachah!!!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Yid said...

Indeed it is true. However, since I'm a ruthless capitalist, I'll charge you if you want to play.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Ipcha Mistabra said...

I hear you can recover data by opening up a hard drive and using a eye dropper and some tweezers.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Yid said...

No, that's one of my less reputable competitors. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home