Friday, December 03, 2004

Being this good is quite a burden

JOB UPDATE: I scored me my first consultancy job this past week, making a website for a family business (not THAT kind of family business) in Boro Park. If this works out, hopefully Hashem will put word of mouth on my side, and this could become a somewhat lucrative side business.

I went to a temp agency yesterday to submit a resume and put in an appearance. I was tested on Word, Excel, my spelling ability, and my typing skills. I was told that I scored high on Word and Excel. I scored the second highest test on the spelling test of all the scores my interviewer had ever seen, which I thought was dismaying, as I didn't think the test was particularly difficult. Lots of bozos out there, I guess. My typing speed, he said, was "insanely fast," and I was quite happy to see that I'd increased my typing speed up to 80WPM from my previous record of 70. I was told that if I ever wanted to change vocations, a career as a legal secretary would be waiting for me.

Anyhow, the interviewer thought he had a job for me that day, working inventory in an operation where I'd have the opportunity to learn AS/400, a server environment I've only read about. I was excited about the prospects, but I just got off the phone with the recruiter, who told me that Potential Employer felt, based on my resume, that I was over-qualified.

Gee, I'm flattered. I thought you had to be in your fifties to be overqualified for a job.

All the flattery in the world won't pay my bills, though. Back to the drawing board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home