Thursday, November 04, 2004

Credit where it's due!

I received an email from my wife's great aunt today, with whom I've had a number of political discussions over the internet. My wife has always found this amusing, because she barely knows this woman, and I, the man who's met this woman once, talks to her more often than my wife does.

Below is the text she forwarded that had been sent to her:

My phone starting ringing a little before 9 AM yesterday. In each instance, it was a tearful friend or relative who wanted me to console them on the election results. But as I told them yesterday, I couldn’t comfort them until I could comfort myself.

The news was so unacceptable to me, that I simply ignored it. I didn’t believe it and I didn’t want to let reality in. So I busied myself as if nothing had happened. But that didn’t work too well, and eventually the truth struck my brain and all the fears came tumbling in.

I have nothing reassuring to say to anyone. The election shows one thing clearly. We are a white Christian nation. The rest of us are just tolerated, at least for now.

When I was in college, young people were liberals. I just assumed with all the new voters actually coming to the polls, we would see a mandate for change. We got one, but it’s to the right, not the left. The heavy turnout was not anti-war; it was evangelical. The elected president is not alone. He shares his mandate with Jesus. We’re back to the time when Atheists had better keep their mouths shut, Jews better behave, and Muslins might want to find a better place to live.

Separation of church and state, perhaps the most important principle our country’s founders passed on, is now on its way out. Prayer in the schoolroom is on its way back…. New Testament prayer, that is.

I’ve gotten over being upset that I am older than the president of the United States. But I can’t get over the fact that my president has a significantly lower IQ.

Most of the people who stole my country on November 2nd, have never lived through the McCarthy era, or the Eisenhower election, to say nothing of Adolph Hitler.

When I was barely out of my teens, I learned the hard way to be careful not to say aloud that I preferred Adlai Stevenson. Patriotic Americans were voting for Dwight Eisenhower. The small company I was with, wrote ”filler” articles for newspapers around the country and so we got weeklies and small dailies from almost every state. In the Bible belt, as we called it, you wouldn’t know the democrats had fielded a candidate. Adlai Stevenson’s name never appeared in print.

Joe McCarthy was so scary, no one spoke out until Edward R. Murrow got up enough courage and it put his career at CBS on hold. But I knew what was happening first hand because the company I was with, hired people McCarthy had caused to be fired because they failed the “loyalty” test. The group I worked with included a very well known Philadelphia reporter, a former financial advisor to Franklin Delano Roosevelt, two filmmakers from UNESCO, and a brother of liberal writer I.F. Stone. The only charge against these men was that they were left wing (and that meant Communist back then even though they weren’t.)

Are we back to a time when we dare not speak our mind or John Ashcroft and the Patriot Act will not only get us fired, but imprisoned. Dare we admit that we are not churchgoers? Will our companies demand a loyalty test as they did in the 50s? Will we be denied personal choice over our bodies?

The right of assembly has already been infringed. Freedom to believe, or not believe, is no longer an easy personal choice. Fear will increasingly infringe upon freedom of speech if by speaking out you could lose your job or be ostracized by your community.

Most importantly, will we ever hear the truth again? There’s something ironic about the “moral majority” selecting a pathological liar as their leader.

Richard Nixon said it best. Mediocrity is not a bad thing.

This president and his coterie introduce nothing new. Those of us over 50 have all been here before.

Comfort you? No, my dear friends. Come cry with me.


I'll take Melodrama for $1000, Alex!

Geez, beyond the appeal to my emotions (which I blocked immediately -- I can be very good at that when I want to be), I had to lend a little sympathy to these leftist quacks.

You see, I don't blame the Republicans for their victory this week.

I blame the Democrats.

I used to think the Democrats were real geniuses in how they'd figured out how to turn an election into an advance auction on stolen goods, but the Republicans tricked them into forfeiting the election.

How, might you ask?

The Democrats brought to the forefront issues of no real significance, like the gay marriage non-issue. Both parties have perfected to an artform the act of failing to foresee consequences of their actions. The Democrats pushed for gay marriage, yet didn't have any expectation whatsoever what kind of backlash it would create among traditionalist Christians who would have been too lazy to vote otherwise. So, the Democrats, not the Republicans, ended up mobilizing new votes into the Republican coffers.

Thanks a bunch. I reeeeally appreciate it. Now I can have the end of the income tax like I've always dreamed. Heh.

Today on Lew Rockwell there was an article by William Anderson that he wrote during Kerry's (really quite civil and gentlemanly) concession speech. He advised that the Democrats go back to their Grover Cleveland roots, who I've long thought was the last great American President, a sentiment with which Anderson agrees.

Of course, that won't happen, and the Republicans will continue to grow this government out of control, and continue ruining our economy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home