Saturday, October 16, 2004

She pushed my buttons!

My wife and I had our second Shabbos in our new place. Last night, after we ate, we went into the living room, as Shabbos is now starting earlier, and we were in no rush to go to sleep. My wife let my daughter roam around outside the fence we normally keep her trapped in so she doesn't break anything while we're unpacking boxes.

My daughter roamed over to my computer and began making noise on the keyboard, obviously trying to emulate the noises she hears me make from it. Then she reached over to move the mouse around. My wife and I started laughing as we just let her have her way with the machine.

I said to my wife, "You know, she's really good at finding and pushing buttons. I hope she doesn't turn on the computer."

Then she turned on the computer. Oy vey, it's Shabbos! She's turning on my computer!

Then she turned it off.

Then she turned in on again.

And again she turned it off.

At that point, my wife scooped her up and brought her over to me.

I guess my daughter is trying to mimick what she sees when I'm in front of my machine. Who knows.

Anyhow, I switched to Slackware a couple of weeks ago, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Who knew I'd have more fun with a distribution where I actually have to configure things by hand. I initially had a great deal of difficulty configuring X to work at my desired resolution. I started the switch based on advice from a friend, and after reading a series of articles over at Ofb.biz on the subject.

I have a few things left to work out, like getting my scanner working, and configuring a webcam I just bought but haven't yet opened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home