Sunday, October 17, 2004

The Myth of Privacy Laws and their Efficacy

I work in an establishment that is required by law by collect certain confidential information about our clients, not only their birthdates and social security numbers, but in many cases, their W2's and 1040's.

Now, what happens to these things after they're collected? They get stuck in a filing cabinet.

What stands in the way of someone pulling your file and doing something vicious and vindictive with this information? Absolutely nothing.

Sure, there are privacy laws, but there is nothing in practice that stands in the way of me collecting names and numbers while I'm at work and publishing this information on a Usenet group.

If this doesn't concern you, wake up and think again.

I see this time bomb every day from 9 to 5, and it worries the hell out of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home