Sunday, September 12, 2004

Food Fight!

Via the Associated Press, an interesting incident occurred in NYC over the weekend -- a man was arrested for the high crime of not leaving a high enough tip at a restaurant.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. In a city which is, as my buddy the Chainik Hocker puts it, "home of the meanest cockroaches and most violentest criminals in the world," the people of the city put people in jail if they are unsatisfied with the tip you leave at your table.

My first job was working as a waiter. I have nothing but sympathy for these hard working people and the job they do... until they give me bad service. :) I remember quite well the anguish of working my butt off and being stiffed for a tip. However, I went into the job knowing that some customers can and would do such things. That was part of the job.

It seems to me that it would be far more equitable for restaurants simply to inflate the menu prices of everything they serve by 15%, and let the customers know that they need not tip their waiters. The waiters will get 15% of whatever they serve, and everyone will be somewhat happy.

Arresting a guy for stiffing you on a tip? If this is a legitimate matter of law, then the problems in this humble city are far worse than I thought.

4 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

"Violentest" is too a word. It means "very, very violent".

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Jesse Ogden said...

Note to self: On my trip to New York (it will happen!), tip very, very well.

I also read (I also linked to the link for it in my blog a couple of days ago) that New York is the most taxed state, but Michigan is only 25th. Ba-zing!

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger whizler said...

hahaha...

NYC's reputation as the toughest city on Earth remain intact.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

And don't you forget it, neither.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home