Sunday, September 19, 2004

And for the first time in a while, I was inspired

What a week! Rosh Hashanah, the two-day long observance of the new year, ran directly into Shabbos, so I was out of touch with the outside world for three days. The beginning and end of Sukkos will be the same way, so, if you happen to be an anonymous fan (yeah, whatever) be warned that I'll be out of touch in two weeks and the week after that.

There is a long standing tradition (I have no idea how old it actually is) that on the Shabbos between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur (that was yesterday, in this case) the rabbi of a shul gives a speech. If I remember correctly, this is mentioned in the Shulchan Aruch, which makes this tradition at least five hundred years old.

Anyhow, my wife and I were in the neighborhood where we're in the process of moving, and so I davened at the shul which I love most in Brooklyn. The rabbi there conducted my wedding, and I've always felt most comfortable there of all the synagogues I've seen in Brooklyn, and I've been to a lot.

The rabbi gave a wonderful drasha (speech) that the one thing we should really daven for is fear of Heaven. If we achieve this, then all will follow. He also spoke about how when he has grandchildren some day, he doesn't want to be remembered for how he played with his grandchildren and bought them matchbox cars, but he wants to be remembered for things that have meaning, like involvement in Torah and its institutions. This made a very big impact on me, and I dread the realization that I'm not an eighteen year old any more. My father even laughed when I told him that I cringed when I called an eighteen year old who's been helping us with our move "a kid."

I'm not doing the rav's drasha any justice in my comments here, mostly because I'm so tired, and it's one in the mornnig as I write this.

But, for the first time in a while, I was inspired to try to be a better Yid. The past year, being religious was really feeling like a burden that I didn't want to shoulder, but with this move my wife and I are making, I feel like this might be a fresh start for the both of us.

Maybe I'll finally find a seder for myself.

1 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

Eighteen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home