Monday, August 16, 2004

Them gays is tearin' this country apart, boy!

Robert recently blogged on a subject that I have been wanting to address, which is the "right" wing and their obsession with cultural issues.

The California Supreme Court invalidated a marriage between two homosexuals in some California town.

To this I say, who cares?

When I married my wife, I was tempted not to bother with the legal civil end of the marriage, as the religious aspect of it was all that mattered to me.

When I get a marriage license, what I allowed to do with my wife that I wasn't previously allowed to do?

There is no way to get homosexuals to stop acting on their urges, other than trying to convince them that it's wrong. Using the state to accomplish this end is completely misguided and destined for failure. After all, we can see what rousing successes the war on drugs and the war on poverty have been. A war on immorality would similarly be counterproductive.

I personally find homosexual behavior disgusting and reprehensible. However, I have other issues that require my attention, like making a living and raising a family. They are free to love whomever they want, as long as they don't get that love on me.

Issues like this are the means by which the Republicans rattle their masses to keep voting for them, much in the same way that the Democrats make calls that the opposition is going to take away Grandma's social security check unless you vote Democrat. If you vote Democrat, the gays are going to destroy marriage! Feh. As long as I can still be married to my beautiful spousal unit, let the fageles be fageles and let me be free to disassociate from them.

In summation, when you hear the words "cultural issues," you should usually be on the lookout for a scam.

4 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Ipcha Mistabra said...

First of all as a proud republican, let me just say that i have no interest in getting involved in what someone does or doesn't do in their bedroom. That notwithstanding, i am totaly against any of these members of the sholom al yisrael shul getting any tax break just because the are now rabbi and rebbitzin. be a faigle all you want, but please not on my dime.
On another note, what the republicans are doing is called polliticing, and as we are in an election year, somthing quite normal i'm afraid. apparently, a great majority of america opposes so called gay marrige, and if this mobilises them to keep kerry out of the white house, then who am i to argue
all is fair in love and war...

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Yid said...

Alas, the only true difference between Bush and Kerry is that Bush thinks he deserves another four years and Kerry disagrees.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Yid said...

It's not called Shalom al Yisroel. It's called Temple Shaarei Tuchus.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Ipcha Mistabra said...

No no shalom al yisrael is a breakoff shul. There was a machlokes over misheberachs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home