Sunday, August 22, 2004

A rainy Shabbos, and other news

Well, it's past midnight, and I felt like blogging.

Yesterday afternoon, my spousal unit and I took child version 1 to spend Shabbos at the spousal unit's mother's house because a friend of our family was making a bar mitzvah in the area. It was a very nice, catered affair. I don't have cholent that I think is fabulous very often, and this catered cholent was, I must say, pretty damn good. It had enough meat in it to satisfy the most voracious eater, such as your humble correspondent.

Soon, the spousal unit and I will be moving, and then we will have to make our own cholent, instead of mooching off our landlords, like we've done for the last two years, who have been extremely kind to us.

The only drawback to going to my mother in law's place for Shabbos is the old shul where we go to daven. The place is a hundred years old, it's enormous, the congregation is small, and they can't afford air conditioning, even in the heat of August. Needless to say, I soaked through my shirt.

The catering hall was nicely air-conditioned. As we were getting ready to leave, though, the heavens opened up a tremendous rainstorm (thanks, Charley, we appreciate it!) which lasted all of about 20 minutes, after which we walked back to the house, and sedative effect of the cholent hit me, and I fell fast asleep for three hours.

Anyhoo, I realized who Jesse Ogden is. I had first read a commentary he wrote some time ago about how he refuses to vote. I liked his writing, and thought he seemed unusually articulate for a drone churned out by a government school.

So, when Mr. Ogden placed a comment on my blog, I thought to myself, "self, where do you know this name from? It seems awfully familiar." Only a day later did I realize that this kid was a Lew Rockwell columnist.

Then the haughty part of me came into play. My friend, the Chainik Hocker, is striving to achieve dominance in the blogosphere, and is trying to get links on as many sites as possible. Here I am doing nothing of the sort, and Jesse links to me on his blog. Assuming I don't do anything to honk Jesse off, my link will still be there on his blog the next time he writes a piece for LRC, and the byline on his commentary will likely have a link to his blog, which has a link to my blog, and I have the potential for thousands of hits when that happens.

Chainik Hocker called me a bad name when I told him this, but that's okay, because he's my buddy. He should look on the bright side of things, and keep in mind that if I get thousands of hits, he'll likely get a portion because I link to his site.

Caf Z'chus, dude!

3 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

Let it be noted that the bad name was inspired by jealousy.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Jesse Ogden said...

I find that the best blogs are those that only link to what the person personally finds interesting, rather than trying to be the most popular person on the blogosphere. My friend Karen De Coster feels the same way about it which is why you only see her linking to the places that she consistently visits.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

In other words, I'm screwed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home