Sunday, August 22, 2004

A man of truth

As mentioned before, I have two neoconservative friends, the Chainik Hocker and Ipcha Mistabra. Other than my beautiful spousal unit, they are the only people who know my secret identity.

Anyhow, they daven in a yeshiva near my residence, where I once also was a regular, until I had a bad experience that left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the whole establishment. There was a gentleman at that particular yeshiva (no more than few years older than I am, I'd imagine) who would wear bowties instead of neckties. I'm very fond of such things, as the gentleman in my hometown who brought me to religious observance also wears bowties. This person at the yeshiva joked with me that only "anshei emes" (men of truth) wear bowties.

Hoping there's something true to that, and hoping my friends CH and IM will listen, I bring up another ish emes, Jeffrey Tucker. :)

The first time I read anything by Mr. Tucker, it was his commentary on LRC entitled, "How to Dress Like a Man," which my wife and I found quite humorous. In the weekend edition of LRC, he has a commentary entitled, "The Violence of Conservatism," which I wish my friends would read.

A choice quote:

Some protest that conservatism once meant resistance to the welfare-warfare state. That is a fascinating piece of historiography, as interesting as the fact that liberalism once meant freedom from the state. Glasses were once called spectacles too, but in our times, language has it own meaning.


One of these days, I'm going to get around to writing a treatment about how libertarianism would benefit the Jews and how the Jews on the right are really just part of the Jews on the left wearing different clothes. Reverence for the state is the same disease regardless of the donkey or elephant label.

What we find in these disgraceful tracts is plain and simple orthodox conservatism: violent, blood-thirsty, and anti-intellectual. All the years that the party of freedom warned about the dangers of the left and what do we find? We find that the real hammer blows to American liberty are being delivered by an unexpected source: the right you might once have thought represented a freedom-minded alternative to Clinton and Carter.

You were lied to.


Indeed, we were all lied to. Yet some are still "proud Republicans."

10 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

Ha ha, the joke's on you. I think anyone who has ever met me would agree that I dress like a Democrat.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

I bielive you misunderstand the fundamental nature of the conservative movement, sir.
I think you will find most neo-neocons (that is, Republicans or at least conservatives my age) believe that when they say "I'm a conservative", the mean "I have laizzes fair attitudes when it comes to social issues and mildly laizzes fair attitudes when it comes to economic issues. I am rather hawkish in my foreign policy, and for that reason support a strong, well equiped military. Therefore, I don't mind paying a limited amount of taxes, as long as I am fairly confident that the money is mostly going to needed causes like fixing the roads, delivering the mail, andshooting Afghanis, and as long as the government keeps the corruption to a discreet minimum".

Government is a necessary evil. he problem with you libraterians is you concentrate exclusivly on the 'evil' part, but forget the 'necessary' part.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Jesse Ogden said...

No, the problem is we disagree on what is a necessary function of government, as well as that evil of government always has a tendency to engulf the so-called necessity and make it just another vile government program as well.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

So, our disagreement is one of degree.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Jesse Ogden said...

But that degree can be magnified when certain issues, that can be seen as key to any ideology, creates dispute. Then you have to deal with the issue of human relations, like, is someone who disagrees with you going to cause you hate them for that? It's not so much that people disagree on issues that causes problems, it's how people react to that.

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Ipcha Mistabra said...

I would be the first one to say that the government has in many ways oversteped what I would consider its bounds. However I do not belive that although it may at times act like a proverbial bull in a china shop that it is not needed or as some libritarians would have it, evil. When we put our fellow humans in a position of power, why do we expect them to behave any better than we would if given half a chance. However this is unfortunatly, an evil that we must put up with, for I belive the alternitive is worse. As the Talmud says "If not for government, people would be eating each other alive".
Man at least I feel I would have the manners to kill them first.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger whizler said...

Libertarians are not anarchists. There seems to be some confusion on this point. The dispute is not about whether government should exist, but what its legitimate functions are.

Conservatives used to (largely) agree with libertarians that the protection of freedom was the state's highest end. But somewhere along the lines, conservative practice diverged from its ostensible beliefs. Today, conservatives barely speak of freedom at all. They chuckle at someone's misfortune at the hands of goverment when in times past they'd been outraged.

What do conservatives believe in anymore if not the efficacy of freedom? Increasingly, they believe in the efficacy of the state--just like the left. The key disagreement between conservatives and liberals appears to be what "problem" the state should solve.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger The Chainik Hocker said...

I would have to disagree with you, Robert. While I do beleive in the efficacy of the state to solve certain problems (or, at least to prevent many problems and to minimize the impact of the problems when they do occur), I DON'T agree that gvmt is the solution to all our problems. And neither do most neocons I know- with the exception of the so-called 'relegious right', who are actually theocratic totalitarians, the mirror image of the theocratic totalitarians we are at war with in the Middle East.

They are not true conservatives at all, even if their agenda is temporarily convergent with that of the Republican Party.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger whizler said...

I didn't mean to imply that the "new conservatives" believe government is the solution to all our problems. Only that, many of them are increasingly believing in the efficacy of the state in resolving them.

In any case, I'd be interested in your view of how good (or bad) a conservative you believe Bush to be, and what specific policies of his administration that lead you to this view.

I notice my favorite Yid hasn't chimed in on this discussion...*hint, hint*

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Yid said...

Actually, I've been very busy, first of all, and second of all, I can't post to the blog or comment at work, because Blogger.com is blocked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home