Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Things that make me happy

I was practically counting down the minutes to 1 pm this afternoon, which was chatzos (halachic noon). At work, I finally got a chance to listen to Sarah McLachlan on my headphones again. I saw her in concert at the venerable dump, the Austin Music Hall, back in 1998. Sure, it was kol isha, but I was just a non-frummie am haaretz back then. Now, I listen to recordings of her, which, while not recommended by poskim, is, permissible.

It was my second trip to the Austin Music Hall -- I'd been there in October 1996 to see the G3 concert (Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, and the person I was there to see -- Joe Satriani) I was totally unimpressed by the venue for the G3 concert. It was a former warehouse turned into a music hall. It was dirty, and there were no seats. I was high as a kite from all the cigarettes and marijuana being smoked there. The music was awesome, though. Satriani is an amazing performer. Steve Vai was okay. I had only heard his music for the first time a few days before the concert, and I got an eerie feeling from looking at him. No matter what anyone tells you, it is NOT normal for a man to wear leather pants! Eric Johnson was great, and Austin is his home town, so the fans cheered him on pretty nice.

When I went there the second time, the lesbians had taken over the place, and it was clean, and there were chairs! I didn't have to worry about my bad back giving out like I do on Yom Kippur during Neilah! :) And, to top it off, it was a "special no-smoking performance." Lisa Loeb was the opening act, and she brought on her then boyfriend (no idea if they're still together) Dweezel Zappa (what was Frank thinking?), and they played a nice show, but I couldn't have cared less. I was there for one reason and that was to hear Sarah sing.

On a different note, I've been thinking lately of expanding my thoughts on Judaism and libertarianism into an essay of some sort. Who knows? Maybe I'll make a pdf and post it somewhere. Maybe I'll submit an article to the Mises website. They probably wouldn't publish it, though, as I am not a scholar. These issues plague me daily. It is very difficult to keep faith when these things go through my head.

In computer news, I was fiddling with KDE's programs that utilize VNC (Virtual Network Computing), a free protocol that was originally developed by AT&T, which is so good it makes me wonder why anyone ever shells out money for PCAnywhere. I've been using TightVNC on Mandrake Linux to log into my sister in law's Windows XP box for a while to help her out, do remote admin, etc. It's pretty nifty, if I do say so myself. A few weeks ago, I logged into her machine via VNC, set up an ftp server on her end, and then logged in with an ftp client to download files from her computer. How many average users do that? VNC is something I've only utilized so far using the command line to bring up her machine. I'll have to try the KDE implementation some time, now that I know it exists. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home