Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Rattling the monkey's cage

I was quite pleasantly surprised by this story on OSNews this morning. When I first started using Linux, I bounced back and forth between KDE and GNOME, but over the last year, I've almost exclusively used KDE.

Some of the things that the gnome developers did were under the claims of improving usability, but I thought they were the opposite. Well, this fellow in the OSNews story is trying to fork GNOME and remove some of the more odious "features" in the newer versions, like the retarded way they reordered the buttons in OK/Cancel dialogs.

When you think of a question having either a positive or a negative answer, do you think of it as a yes or no question or a no or yes question?

If you're normal, you think of it as a yes or no question.

If you're a gnome developer, you think of it as a no or yes question. When a gnome app gives you a dialog, with ok and cancel, the buttons are in the exact opposite places where a normal user would expect the buttons to be. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally cancelled an application from doing something I wanted it to do because the button for OK wasn't where I was expecting it to be.

This is just one example of their nuttiness.

Good luck to that guy, and maybe some sense will return to GNOME.

Having said that, I must say I absolutely LOVE gpdf, the GNOME PDF viewer, which is really shaping up to be a great application. All it really needs is a search function, and perhaps a Mozilla plugin, and it completely replaces Acrobat Reader in most cases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home